Sunday, December 18, 2011

Heavy Metal 2000



Like a lot of people in my age range I saw Heavy Metal as a child (in my case at 6 years old) when it came on HBO.  It probably is one of the things that drew me towards post-apocalyptic sci-fi & comic books.  So I knew about Heavy Metal 2000 when it came out & I wanted to see it, but heard nothing but lackluster reviews.  Even seeing that it was available for free streaming for a couple of years on the internet, I still didn’t bother to check it out.  I don’t really know why I finally decided to click play on it.  Anyway, the bottom line is, this sucks compared to the original for sure & maybe it just sucks all together.  The animation quality is sub-par compared to the original (or at least compared to my memories of the original) & the music that is all over the film (just like in the original) doesn’t really fit in.  Also while I remember the original having a lot of nudity & sexuality in it, somehow this one feels less natural & more exploitive (a funny idea when dealing with a cartoon I know).  I think part of what makes this one really lacking is that the original is seven short stories & this one is a story that could’ve been awesome framed as one of seven stories, but doesn’t work as an hour & a half on it’s own.  I don’t know, maybe I’m being too hard on it.  I suppose I’m going to have to re-watch the original at some point & I hope I am not terribly disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP