Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone



I never really had an interest in this Harry Potter stuff.  Which I guess is weird because I am into british stuff & teen culture things.  They just looked long & boring to me & unlike The Lord of the Rings movies (which were also long & boring) I had no vested interest from my childhood.  But the past few weeks I’ve been assembling CDs because I saved a couple hundred bucks by assembling them at home.  Which means hours more of monotonous work than I normally have.  So one night nothing I wanted to watch was on TV & the first Harry Potter movie was on & people say “the first one is actually good” so I thought I could handle it while doing other work.


Well, I don’t get it.  I mean there are a lot of things in it that I routinely complain about in movies – too long, too many characters, no characters I care about – but beyond that I just don’t understand anyone over twelve being attracted to it.  For one thing it is not set up as a movie, it’s set up as 30 minute episodes bundled into a movie like some of the GI Joe cartoons & it really just doesn’t work for me.  I mean, clearly my time would’ve been better spent listening to the first Stooges record six times in a row (which would have been about as long as the movie).  & why are you going to title something “& the Sorcerer’s Stone” when the sorcerer’s stone doesn’t appear in the thing & could be replaced by any other made up object to use as a plot device (maybe the whole series works like that, I’m not going to bother to find out).  What scares me is some people I know that like this franchise say the first movie is better than the first book.  I just don’t understand the way things work.  More people should follow Clint Eastwood’s advice; “It’s just as much work to make a bad movie as a good movie; so you may as well make a good one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP