Thursday, June 21, 2012

Death Note (anime)

I first found out about Death Note when I was looking at the graphic novels of a Borders going out of business. Normally I don’t get manga books because it takes seven books to tell one story, but they had The Complete Death Note so I assumed it was a whole story. While I was thinking about it someone else grabbed it, so I grabbed Death Note Vols I & II which were all they had & about the same thickness as the complete one. So I was surprised & a little let down that not only did the second one complete the story, there were another five volumes. Even though I liked the story, I never got used to the modern manga translations going right to left & I didn’t want to drop $50 to read the rest of the story. Then one day Hulu recommended the anime of Death Note to me.

So I have to say it’s fairly awesome. The premise is a high school kid finds a notebook a demon uses to kill people & rather than use it on rival students, he uses it to make the world a better place by taking out serial killers & war criminals. The police wise up to him & then it’s a slippery slope of killing innocent policemen in order to serve the greater good. So all about moral ambiguity, which seems like a big interest of mine lately. If it sounds interesting to you, you should probably watch it. It kind of reminds me of Breaking Bad in the way you just are on edge waiting for the train wreck to happen. It also pretty much has total closure, which I also like in a series.

I will say though that the last 1/3 of the series they use a metal song instead of a j-pop song as the intro & somehow that makes those episodes way less interesting to me. It’s funny how much of an impact music can have on things.
Original intro:

Metal intro:


Watch the First Episode on Hulu

Holy cow, I just found out there’s a live action movie!:

1 comment:

  1. I watched some of the live action movie & while I thought the demons looked kinda cool, I didn't care enough to watch the whole thing....

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP