Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Stranger (1967) – movie based on Camus novel

So like every young quasi-suicidal disenfranchised intellectual youth, I loved Albert Camus’s The Stranger when I read it in high school.  I felt like the Meursault character was more or less me – isolated, alone, & unsure how humans were supposed to actually act.  I guess finding out I had Asperger’s Syndrome years later makes feeling like that make more sense.  It makes me wonder if being a disenfranchised white guy is a side effect of Asperger’s or just part of who I am, but it doesn’t matter either way.  Anyhow, I had heard that a movie of this existed & I imagined it was some semi-surreal affair based on the cover of the paperback I read.  But I never managed to track it down nor meet anyone who had actually seen it.
By the time I was in my mid-20s I had forgotten about Camus & all the other existential writers of his era in favor of stuff like the Gen-X writers & the American pulp authors of the first half of the twentieth century.  I mean, I would notice when they mentioned Camus in pop media (you see him being read by angsty teens on sitcoms), but it was no more interesting than seeing someone in a Misfits t-shirt or whatever.  Anyway, YouTube somehow recommended I watch this movie.  So I was like, “Yeah, I should watch this, maybe re-read the book & re-live my childhood!”  This movie is pretty awful.  I’m scared to read the book if it’s anything like this.  It’s slow, boring, & pointless – but I guess a lot of people like movies like that anyway.  It actually kind of reminds me of when they made the American Psycho movie & I felt like their interpretation of the book had little to do with the book I read (scenes in common for sure, but some books are mainly about tone & I think American Psycho the film captures more of the director Mary Harron than it does author Bret Easton Ellis – at the very least more Mary Harron than Brian John Mitchell).  Maybe these people got the movie right & I got the story in my head wrong.  Maybe I’ll re-read the book or maybe re-writing it as I remember it (Kathy Acker style?) would be a better way to spend my time.



2 comments:

  1. I think you've personalised this to the point where the narrative becomes an extension of your Aspergers. I'm spectral also, but believe that Camus set out to show how any kind of disconnect could be so disastrous. For example his hero studied but then had to drop out due to lack of funds. His inability to care even for himself is the most striking. Should he marry Marie ? Should he take the opportunity of a new job in Paris ? Does he really care about anything ? Yet Camus' character is neither psychopathic nor autistic. There are several self-interrogatory passages and various looks at how he perceives others see him. The total apathy is nihilistic, which I suspect is what Camus really wanted to reach. Absurdity. But it is life. I live it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Outsider is a horror novel by American author Stephen King, published on May 22, 2018, by Scribner. Description The novel begins with the tone of a police procedural in its early parts, but shifts to a horror novel toward. Read More the outsider camus

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP