Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

So this is a silent movie from 1927, which already means a ton of people won’t like it & that’s fine. Personally I really like a lot of silent movies, but because my general movie watching experience is letting something play in the background when I work on something else, that really doesn’t work at all with silent stuff & so I haven’t really seen as many as I feel like I should have. This one I stumbled across because it was listed as one of the greats by American Film Institute.


It is pretty great. I like how this movie (like a lot of silent films) combines a couple of film styles that don’t seem like they’d fit together. This movie starts out about a man planning to kill his wife so he can move to the big city with his mistress & I thought it was going to be too dark for me to take it & then it goes into some comedic bits about going to the city for almost an hour before twisting back around to things involving the wife murder plot. I really like how they do the intertitles where at times they are semi-animated instead of just being typed out.  If you like silent movies in general, I’d say this one is unquestionably worth your time (though it wouldn’t be my top pick for a silent film, that honor goes to Laugh Clown Laugh). If you complain about the acting style of the era, this is not the one to change your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP